Friday, December 20, 2013

Putting My Old Life in a Coffin (for good)


I'll lie naked on my back, with idle thoughts perched on my stomach, curtains tied back, windows bare, as moonlight streams in across the flesh of my abdomen, my pearls will be loosely draped around my neck. The queen chair in the corner of my bedroom dressed in the scarf and skirt I had previously tossed there. In the morning I will make phone calls, write e-mails, make arrangements for the funeral, sign the death certificate, wipe the tears from beneath my black veil, and put my old life in the coffin just before they lower it into the ground, never wanting it to be rewarded with an eternal life. 
     In between mouthfuls of air, I'll take note of the now unrecognizable mangled corpse of what once was. I'll hear the bantering slightly irritated note in the bird's voice outside my window, as he watches yet another drama production of life pass before him, just before we both, begin again as new...

No comments:

Post a Comment