Thursday, May 22, 2014

upper lip / strength / sneakers / running


My ex - husband is far worse for my health than high fructose corn syrup could ever be. I concluded this, this past Sunday while at Columbia University attending my daughter's (the same daughter that is also his daughter) graduation from her Master's Program. The words "ARROGANT ASSHOLE" do not even give him justice, sweat beading on my forehead and upper lip as I peered the grumbling in his eyes, and the Marlboro haze filtering from his mouth. When we look back over our lives, and OUR past mistakes, hard to believe that we all were once so stupid and naive as to expect (and further insist) that life would be kind to us.

There is not a moment in time that I question why I left this man, or that if I had to do it all over again, I would leave him sooner and with a quickened stride, not a meandering lacking confidence stride, saying I'm sorry I really tried all the way out the door.........some how weeping, expecting some different ending version of the fairy tale. No, it sucked, and it sucked big-time...there is just no getting around the muckiness of the situation.

There is just no nice way, or good housekeeping version, to state it otherwise. Meeting up at events and dealing with your nasty ex - husband, who has a chip the size of Mount Everest still on his shoulder, is, well, not very pleasant a way to spend a Sunday afternoon...and this is why I have run countless miles this past week, running away from the place he crushes inside of me, every time he is close enough...Feeling the mud on my shin, letting it imprint on my flesh, warm and demanding as its murkiness fills my senses. Stone lined garden spaces gracing the space between my hipbones, as the tiniest veil of vines drips down my leg. Sweat draping from my brow, precipitous drop of despair, feeling the strain in the deepest of places...

No comments:

Post a Comment