Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Endless Summer


The leaves underfoot this morning give way to the fact that the endless moments of summer, are soon to come to a close. This is the time of year I always wish to turn back the hands of time from. The time I lay still and silent under the bedcovers in predawn light, as a slight chill creeps into my toes, just before they hit the floorboards.
It is the time my windows remain only half open, with air so cool and crisp drifting under my nose, that the feel of a hot coffee cup is all that will deliver warmth to my fingertips. 

I know now, as I have always known in my past, that this season of change is often my deepest season, my deepest reason for solitude pressed to my chest like an ice cube held to my sweat in mid July.
It is my season of bringing in rose petals, to savor their aroma and sweetness, a lastly hope that offers me forgiveness to the harshness of a life I still have flickers of. 

The leaves are the incurable reminder, that life changes, that seasons fade, and acceptance does not come easily to a girl who swaddles herself in the basking sun of summer, where warmth gives color and peace to her surroundings. It is the time that my bare feet, now, need covering.

No comments:

Post a Comment