Wednesday, March 26, 2014

To My Dog


I miss you dearly Lexi . . . I still think about you every day. I hope you are running and playing on a beach up in heaven somewhere. One of these days, when I close my eyes for the last time . . . I really hope you come and tackle me with kisses. Call me crazy I don’t care. I thought about you the other day, while walking in the cold.
 Crumbled leaves rustled under my feet, and I thought about your snoot playfully tossing in the leaves, tugging the leash from my hand. You always loved the fallen leaves, and the winter snow, I always hated both (in case you never knew, I always stood in either, just a bit longer, just for you) you never said a word, but, really, we had the deepest of conversations, you and I. It has taken me a bit to even get to the place where I can write about this without completely losing it. But, finally I am almost there. It’s been a year already since you left us. You became a 'mamma's girl' very quickly. Just as quickly, I began making you home cooked food, that canned dog food chicken really never smelled very good to me, and you so loved London broil, anyway. Lying down, on the bed, in the sun, was probably your most favorite place in the world, until I would come home, and catch you. (You would still somewhere 'work' me back, to get that darn London broil by suppertime).
 You were spoiled all right, but you were one of the best relationships that I have ever experienced and if I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. Just because, I miss you, and when you passed, you took a part of me with you. I hope they are serving you Filet Mignon up in heaven! You so deserve it!
I'll probably end up writing to you again (eventually), as the snowflakes of winter have passed, and I hold, still, blurry memories of your paw prints all over the front yard...you never did quite master the whole lying in the snow to make a 'snow angel' thing...but you always tried...and, now, as the warmth of, yet, another Spring since your passing is upon me, I grin at the thought of you stretched out on the patio, soaking up the rays, as you mastered the lazy hazy crazy days of summer so effortlessly.......you always put all of us to shame, you tamed life, rather than it ever taming you.....I learned my most valuable life lesson from you........"soak up the sun and just let things be"

No comments:

Post a Comment